Sunday 4 June 2006

Packing up

Yesterday was with Bere in my room trying to pack up some of the things that I’ve accumulated these 2 years and send them home. There’s no way I can squeeze everything that I have now into the 2 luggages I brought with me when I first came. I figured it’s better to send them from here(USA) than from London as the English pound will be so much more expensive than the US dollars.

Anyway, as I was packing, I had to decide which of the things I want to leave with me and which ones to send home. This is when I’m reminded that I only have to decide what I’ll need for the next 4-6 months. I don’t think I will stay any much longer than that. Having been away from home and S’pore for almost 2 years, I feel that maybe it’s time for me to go home. Even if I do plan to stay longer in London, I do want to go back home and see my friends and family first.


When I first packed to come here, I packed for what I’d need for a year. Now, I need only to pack for what I’d need for a few months. I also have to reduce the things I have to carry in my suitcases because I do plan to travel in England and I do not want to have to lug heavy luggages around when I travel. This greatly stresses me as I’m not able to decide what I do and will need and I’m used to the thinking that I may need a lot of things. It also saddens me greatly. When you pack for a long trip, it always fills you with a feeling of excitement or sadness. This time, because I’m packing in preparation for going home, it just gives me the reality check that I’ll soon be going home, to S’pore, maybe permanently. I’ll be leaving this host family that I’ve come to love and be loved, that I’ve grown comfortable to, that I’ve spent a memorable part of my life with. Who knows what the future may bring and whether we will meet again.

As the date for moving to London grows closer(somewhere around the first two weeks of July), and I have to pack again(this time, everything), I’m sure that I will feel the sadness for this house that I’ve called home for the past 2 years. It’s a big, beautiful and comfortable house that I would not have to chance to live in again. I’ll also have to say farewell to this part of the States and the States itself. It has been a vacation of 2 years and I really feel blessed to have the opportunity to experience all that this country has to offer me.

Well, I managed to pack up all my things into one big box(18" x 18" x 24") and I realised that this frees up a lot of space for my suitcases. Maybe I can go buy more stuff to fill them! Hehe…But then I have to spend like over a hundred dollars just to send this box home, I guess there goes the money to buy more stuff. :( I’ll just control myself and save up money to go travelling in Scotland and Ireland! Woohoo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment