Sunday 17 September 2006

Scotland trip

I’m back from Scotland! Sad to say, I didn’t enjoy Scotland as much as I enjoyed Ireland. After the crazy and fun-filled week in Ireland, I sort of expected Scotland to be the same thing recreated all over again. Kept on missing the people and events in Ireland the whole time. I guess one shouldn’t compare or have expectations. You might be sorely disappointed. I was.

Scotland has it’s own struggles, battles and histories. In fact, I learnt more history in Scotland than in Ireland. However, it doesn’t necessary means a good thing. Most of it is about how Scotland came to be part of the UK and it’s fight for independence. So you can see, it’s not all romantic stories. Just feel quite sad and depressing to learn about all those tragic histories.

This time, the tour only had 9 of us, 10 including the guide, in it. A small group, so we were able to know each other quite well. However, you don’t always get people that you can click or get along with, everytime. There’s 2 China boys, one Australian(who’s totally different from those Aussies I met in Ireland),one American lady in her forties, one Scot, one Czech Republic guy, an Israel girl(who’s very smart and well-travelled), a pretty Switzerland girl and me, the S’porean girl. We’re all from different countries and have different cultures and languages. I think to be able to survive amicably for a week is good enough.

There were some things that happened that made me hide in the toilet and cry my heart out. Maybe I’m too sensitive and interpret words wrongly. Maybe I’m just so set in my thinkings that I think my way is the right way. Maybe I’m just too selfish to see my own faults. Whatever it is, I tried my best. Can’t always please everyone. Can’t always care too much.

Have you ever seen a beautiful sunset and a rainbow at the same time? Have you ever had 5 men strip naked all at once in front of your eyes(albeit a little distance away)? Have you ever seen the Milky Way in the sky? Have you ever seen stars so bright and clear that the constellations could be seen all at once? Have you ever felt the wind so strong on a mountain top that it feels as though you’re really about to be blown away? Have you ever stood while cows/sheep eat grass not heeding your presence besides them? Have you ever seen so much cows/sheep shit in one big field? I had done/seen/experienced all these and more! It really was some of the greatest phenomenal experiences I ever had. The company wasn’t great but I don’t regret doing this tour.

Now, if I can only recover in time to say goodbye to my host family. Can I ever say goodbye without tearing up and breaking my heart?




Sylvia
September 17, 2006 at 9:17 pm

:)

Laixing
September 18, 2006 at 7:20 am

wow really pei fu u going so far for ur pursuits.. dun be sad ya… u still got frens who are all around ok?

No comments:

Post a Comment