Wednesday 25 January 2006

Volunteering

I just went volunteering with the Bridgeport Rescue Mission. It’s basically just following a group of volunteer workers out on their van and go to a poorer part of the city to give out food to anyone who’s hungry. We gave out 58 dinners in just like 10-15 mins. Can you imagine the number of hungry folks out there? This is especially so because it’s now the end of the month. Most people would have spent all their social security benefits or salary and have no more money for food either for themselves or for their children.

Although the part of the city that I went to is a poorer part, the people there are not really that poor. Not in such a state that I would call destitute. However, when I see an abled bodies man or old man just standing in line to get free food, I would ask myself what sort of circumstances would force a man to put down his self-esteem and line up for free food? These people(mostly African Americans) have warm clothes to last them for the cold winter. At least they’re not like being frozen to death(the mission give away jackets, coats and socks too for anyone who wants/needs it). I’m reminded that I live in the richest state of America and frankly, there’s poor people here too, but I see worse situations out West than here in the East. Even just in NYC, the people there are much worse than here. During the cold spell 2 weeks ago, 2 homeless man have died from the cold.
I don’t think I’m doing much just to go out once a week to feed these people. But I have to remind myself that no matter how small my contribution is, it comes from the bottom of my heart and I really sincerely want to do something for the less fortunate than me.

The other time I went to volunteer with Habitat For Humanity, where they help to build houses and offer low house loans to the poor. I really can’t do much as building houses is really not what I’m into. I know nuts about it. Really felt helpless then when I was helping. Those present can’t teach me much as they have to try to meet deadlines in handing over the houses to the people. But I salute these people who give up part of their time on a regular basis every week or even everyday to help whenever they can.

Actually, another of my ambition or fantasy is to be a full time volunteer in developing countries, just helping those who have lesser than me. But I still have parents who needs me. I have responsibilities to fulfill. And, I think, deep down in my heart, I still long for a family of my own and to settle down. Hmm…I think the first fantasy is easier to fulfill…Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment